After months of speculation, which involved a hot, cold relationship, veteran Congress leader Sunil Jakhar quit the party on Saturday, even as the Grand Old Party gathered in Udaipur for a ‘Chintan’ Shivir ‘ chalks out a roadmap for its rejuvenation.
Jakhar’s exit comes after the Congress leadership took action against him for alleged anti-party activities. The veteran leader’s decision is also the latest in a string of desertions from the party which has been unable to reverse its political fortunes due to infighting, a lack of top-level decision-making and of the BJP juggernaut.
News18 reflects on recent outings from Congress:
- Ripun Bora: Former Assam Congress President Ripun Bora has joined the All India Trinamool Congress in Kolkata, becoming the latest leader to leave the big old Assam party. “As of today, I have started my new political journey!” Bora had tweeted, sharing his resignation letter, addressed to Congresswoman Sonia Gandhi.
- Ashwani Kumar: Former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar has quit the Grand Old Party, saying he “can better serve bigger national causes outside the party fold.”
- Imran Masood: Masood left Congress to join the Samajwadi Party ahead of the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
- Aditi Singh: The rebel Congress MP from Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh has joined the BJP. The daughter of five-time MP Akhilesh Singh, Aditi Singh had criticized Gandhis and was suspended from the party’s women’s wing in May last year after criticizing her party for organizing 1,000 migrant buses stranded in parts of Uttar Pradesh due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
- Luizinho Falerio: The former chief minister of Goa quit the party just before the 2022 elections. state leadership and said the party had become a “cruel travesty of what Congress stands for.”
- Jitin Prasada: The former Union minister left the party in June 2022 and joined the BJP. He had criticized the functioning of the party and declared that the party was nothing more than an “institutionally national party”. He was then sworn in as Cabinet Minister of Uttar Pradesh under Yogi Adityanath.
- RPN Singh: The former Union minister, a close associate of Rahul Gandhi, left Congress and joined the BJP. Singh was the Congress Jharkhand official, but was reportedly pushed to the fringes of the party, having fallen out of favor with the Gandhis.
- Jyotiraditya Scindia: Jyotiraditya Scindia was Uttar Pradesh in charge of Congress with Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in the 2019 Lok Sabha election in which RPN Singh suffered a second consecutive defeat from the Kushinagar seat. Jitin Prasada joined the BJP last year after being kicked out of the Congress party.
- PC Chacko: The Congress veteran and Delhi party official resigned last year just before the Kerala Assembly elections and joined the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) led by Sharad Pawar.
- Amarinder Singh: After months of wrangling with Navjot Singh Sidhu, then leader of the Punjab Congress, former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh quit the Congress and founded his own party, the Punjab Lok Congress. The veteran’s exit was followed by the party’s thrashing in the Punjab polls.
Read all the latest IPL 2022 news, breaking news and live updates here.